Saturday, April 29, 2017

Vegan vanilla frosting

My sister's birthday is next week so I recreated the unicorn cake I made a couple of weeks ago with some adjustments.  No dairy, eggs or gluten.



She's a fan of rice krispie treats so I made the "cake" portion out of those, formed in cake pans.  They are easy to make dairy and gluten free by replacing the butter with Earth Balance spread.

Most of the recipes I found for dairy free or vegan frosting replaced butter with shortening.  There is no way that would fly, so I just replaced the butter in my regular recipe with Earth Balance.  This is not a one to one replacement - I barely needed any of the spread. 

Vegan Vanilla Frosting


  • 3 Tbsp vegan butter - I used Earth Balance Soy Free
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 4 Tbsp almond milk


I put everything in the mixer at once; there is so little vegan butter that it wasn't something I could cream like I would with regular butter.  This makes a nice, smooth frosting.

Then I recreated the unicorn cake the best I could.  The frosting consistency is very different and didn't get as fluffy as the regular buttercream, but it was still pretty good.

Happy (almost) Birthday, Sara!


No comments:

Post a Comment