Thursday, May 1, 2014

Turquoise engagement ring

My sister's boyfriend called me a couple of weeks ago and asked if I would make an engagement ring for her, similar to what I did last summer for my brother and his girlfriend. Of course I wasn't going to turn that down...the opportunity to be a part of something so special and be in on a secret that none of the rest of my siblings knew?  That's how you can get me roped in every time.



He wanted to go with turquoise because it's a favorite stone of hers.  We talked a little bit about the ring design in general terms but he left the specifics up to me. I decided to make two rings in fairly different styles for him to pick from and ordered a couple of different turquoise pieces to get started.  I got a couple of cabochons and also ordered a piece of Number 8 Mine turquoise from an Etsy seller. 

Maybe I'm a sucker for the history behind it, but the Number 8 turquoise quickly became the front runner; it was more unique and the color was gorgeous. I stuck with the plan and made two rings but by the time they were done I knew that was "it".

He picked the right one (IMO) and proposed last weekend.  She said yes and seems to like the ring (phew!). So the others I made at the same time are going to my Etsy shop as I can get the listings put together.

Congratulations, Sara and Mike!





No comments:

Post a Comment