Thursday, November 21, 2013

Tiny mirrors

Last weekend I made this pair of earrings in silver to match the copper pair I made recently. I used the hydraulic press to get the texture and added some copper rivets for contrast. I thought about giving them a brushed satin finish but finally went with a shiny polish instead. This has created an issue; I can't seem to get a good picture of them. 

I try to take most pictures of my jewelry outside because the natural light almost completely removes any need for color balancing in the photos and makes quick work of listing the pieces on Etsy.  Generally this works well as long as the sun isn't totally beating down on the deck railing I use as the backdrop.  But apparently shade isn't enough for these earrings - I might need completely overcast skies.  When I look at these pictures I miss the jewelry completely because I'm drawn to the tiny, repetitive tree reflections in the texture.

 

I actually love the reflections - they are kind of mesmerizing. 




Enchanting, but not too useful when it comes to getting pictures for a listing of the earrings in my Etsy shop. They are really pretty; big pieces of silver that are perfect for statement jewelry...not that anyone could tell. If I still have them to list after the Bizarre Bazaar in a couple of weeks, I'll try the pictures again in a light tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment