Saturday, July 9, 2011

Copper fold forming

I made a giant copper cuff bracelet last year that people were very drawn to.  At the Bizarre Bazaar, people would be walking by my booth and stop when they saw that cuff, even if their intention seemed to be to pass me by.  The problem with it was that it was really too big; most bracelets are about seven to eight inches in length, and the cuff was more like nine.  I kept thinking about cutting it down, but I put it in my Etsy shop and got involved in other things.  About a month ago, it sold (much to my surprise); I shipped it out but decided I would make another one in a smaller size.

I love the process of fold forming because it's so organic.  I don't feel like there is a wrong way to do it and the textures and patterns are incredible.  Fold forming in copper is oddly gratifying because it is such a soft metal and seems to be a natural fit to the technique.  Don't get me wrong--sterling is great too, but I would pick copper any day over the silver when it comes to fold forming.

I ended up making one much like the original:


as well as another fold formed cuff:








and some fold formed earrings:

No comments:

Post a Comment