Tuesday, October 13, 2009

XBox 360 cake

Gage picked this cake for his birthday...the beloved XBox 360. He asked for the white cake I make with soda, cream cheese frosting, and marshmallow fondant, so that's what he got.

I underestimated how much time it would take to do this one...for starters, it took FOUR cake mixes to get the double layer cake. I put a piece of parchment paper on top of the XBox and traced the shape, then used that to cut out the shape of the cake. Since stacking cake pans in the oven messes with the baking, I baked the two sheet cakes separately. The form is pretty simple, but covering it with the fondant and putting on the details took a while. In the end, I was pretty happy with it. A side note...I know putting fondant in the fridge is taboo, but I didn't have a choice last night since the cake had cream cheese frosting on it. I put it in a cardboard cake box to help keep the condensation at bay and everything was fine this morning when I took it out to peek.

Here is the recipe for the cake made with soda--it's really easy and cuts the calories and fat and makes it really moist:

1 box of cake mix
12 ounces of soda to match the mix (diet sprite for white cake, diet coke for chocolate)
Bake according to box directions.

I know Sara is shaming me about the box mix. Sorry, Sara.

Here's the cake:

No comments:

Post a Comment