Monday, September 21, 2009

Baseball cake

This cake was for a 50th birthday and had lots of details that were new for me. After some internal debate, I used royal icing to pipe the logos on the shirt and hat. I like how that turned out, but had to handle the figure very carefully once that part was done so I didn't break the icing off. The figure is fondant and gumpaste with royal icing hair. There were some specific requests for this one, like the Ray Ban sunglasses and Yankee hat the guest of honor wears and the Cracker Jacks he collects next to him on the field. Because of scale, it's a little bit hard to see the Cracker Jack box, so I bought a couple boxes and used the popcorn for the cake border. I don't know how that will taste, but it was the best way I could think of to bring that element into the cake.

The topper:



...and the finished white cake with vanilla buttercream frosting, showing the Cracker Jack border:

No comments:

Post a Comment