Saturday, August 8, 2009

Flower garden birthday cake

This cake was for a woman's birthday party--chocolate cake with cookies and cream buttercream filling and vanilla buttercream frosting. The topper is on a covered masonite board so it can be removed as an entire scene. The figures are fondant surrounded by royal icing "grass" and chocolate rocks. I used the Pirouette cookies to surround the cake...this has become my favorite (expensive!) go-to for outdoor scenes.

I like doing the scenes on top of cakes, but it is really time consuming and I want to do something a little bit different for the next project. That means that the people at work (or Lowell's work) will end up having cake forced on them. Sorry, I can't have it around the house all the time. I'm thinking about what I want to do, so it may be a while. Maybe it's time to work on some jewelry for a bit? I have some fold-forming projects that are 90% done that could use some attention.

Stephanie, if you are listening, you have to tell me cupcake flavors!

Back to this cake. So here is the topper:



...and the finished cake:

2 comments:

  1. Try baker's cardboard rounds - not as heavey, less expensive, aready round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tip--the issue I worry about with those cardboard rounds is the weight of the scene. They are surprisingly heavy! Maybe a couple of them put together would work in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete